Monday 11 October 2010

Module 2 chapter 1

At last! I've finally collated all my research for the historical study, which is the Opus Anglicanum or English Embroidery.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster as usual as I'm out of practice in the ways of historical research, and it took quite a long time to uncover the information I required, especially as there aren't that many surviving pieces and it's hard to come up with a new approach to a small research area.

I think there's definitely more milage in this topic for me and I intend to go to the V&A medievil galleries to view the pieces in person. I would also like to go to the Bodlean Library in Oxford to view the Orbmsby Psalter and the English Bestiary.


2/1/1


2/1/2


2/1/3


2/1/4


2/1/5


2/1/6

And lastly the all important:

Bibliography

Embroidery in Britain from 1200-1750 The Victoria and Albert Museum Textile Collection V&A publications 1993

Kay Stanilan Medieval Craftsmen Embroiderers British museum press London 1993

Pamela Warner Embroidery A history Batsford London 1993


Web sites

www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1220_gothic/craftsperson.php

www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1220_gothic/embroidery.php

http://medieval.ebcon.net.au/technique_opus_anglicanum.html

www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/middle_ages/nations_britain_01.shtml

www.theanglocatholic.com/2010/02/opus-anglicanum/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all this very valuable information, especially for me living in Italy, I shall put it aside for future use, whenever this shall be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great study Sharon, I agree its always more difficult when you can't have the primary sources in front of you!

    ReplyDelete