I think this piece is going to be a long haul so I have decided to break up the blog posts in smaller chunks than I would normally do.
I have been mindful of Sians advice to keep the 'story' of the piece present in my mind as I work it out, and although I've done this in the past, this time it seems to be more successful, maybe it's because it is an abstract piece therefore the story doesn't have to be literal. Anyway I have decided to work from the angle of, entrapment versus support, and this can be read on many different layers, both literal and psychological.
With all this buzzing in my head on my latest visit to Dungeness, which you can see more of on my other blog, I went out on a frosty morning and deliberately looked for examples of entrapment on the beach.
These floats are just begging to be translated into embroidery.
It was a very cold morning with a thick white frost so sketching was a bit quick but enjoyable, being out in the fresh sea air. There were so many different textures and weave in this pile of nets and bags.
So with all this fresh inspiration I set to work with the embroidery software to create some more patches to incorporate in the knitting.
These inserts are shown from the wrong side of the knitted piece, as at the moment I prefer it, but I may consider the possibility of having it on view from both sides.
There are a couple of large holes, one can be seen on the RHS and the smaller one in the middle, these will be filled at a later date.
The above shot shows a small section knitted in Madeira Glissen Gloss, (shiny blue) which is a very fine machine embroidery thread. It was really difficult to knit with on size 3.75 needles and to make it worse I worked a pattern with yarn forward on every stitch to make it extra loopy ( and quickly realise I was too to be doing it!)
You can just see the insertion of 3 more patches under the stitches. This is why I decided to make the wrong side the main side as they are too hidden.
In this shot you can see the trapped patches where I have joined on some Madeira embroidery thread to the bottom row and knitted a casing for the patches.
Finally I photographed the whole piece so far, against the widow to see how it would look with the light reflecting through it. The first shot is without flash, the second with.