Tuesday 14 February 2012

Personal assessment piece part 4

Almost finished

The piece is finished now except for the final hanging decision, so please excuse the knitting needle, I am in search for the perfect twig.


pap/1

The front or back depending on how I prefer to hang it.


pap/2

The other side

Next are the detailed pics of the new additions since the last post.


pap/3


pap/4


pap/5


pap/6


pap/7


pap/8


pap/9

And some extra close top shots taken by my very patient DH as were some of the above.


pap/10


pap/11


pap/12


pap/12

The whole piece has been constructed with a variety of yarns, mostly hand dyed and using a range of knitting needles from 2.0-7.0 mm.

By constantly changing the size of needles, number of stitches, type of stitch and yarn the piece has developed with often unpredictable results.

I'm pleased with the feeling of weight on the bottom, due to the extra number of stitches and colour, which then developed into a lighter feeling as the colour changes to lighter blues and green at the top.

I've enjoyed doing this piece much more than anything else I've done for a long time, and it's pushed my knitting skills to the limit and has often left me wondering why I had to go just that bit too far and loose control of the stitches!

I am also pleased to have found a medium that I find intriguing to work in, that of digital embroidery with knit. I shall very much look forward to exploring this in much greater depth.

Production information:

Hours of work:

Design preparation: 15hrs
Making up: 159hrs
Total:174hrs

Materials:
1 Pearl cotton 8 £2.33
1/4 Pearl cotton 8 £0.58
DCM cotton Pearl £1.04
6 hand dyed silk threads £10.50
1 Madeira Glissen Gloss £2.50
1 silk wool mix £3.50
4 hand dyed mixed heavy weight yarns £2.0
Gold machine embroidery thread £0.75
Madiera metallic machine embroidery thread £3.75
Madeira multicolours machine embroidery thread £2.50
1/4m Metallic silk organza £3.50
1m water soluble stabiliser £3.20
1/4m Nylon sheer £1.50
Heavy weight silk thread £2.0

Total: £39.65

Size:

45cm x 85cm

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful! And very impressive too.
    I like both sides of the hanging actually. Do you have to decide which one is the front for the assessment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Sharon this is a great piece. i love the way you have suspended pieces and knitted on from them. Hope you find your twig or a piece of beach detritus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    You could hang it as a mobile so it turns and you see both sides.
    Like it. A lot of work.
    Well done patient DH - nice pics.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work Sharon, no wonder it took so many hours to complete! I didn't think I was into knitting but this is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. Love your hanging, it's beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so impressive, and has a real look of the beach about it too. You've captured that feeling very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly a labour of love but so beautiful and original.

    ReplyDelete