Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Module 6 chapter 3

Transform and personalise

This chapter is about looking at ways of colouring materials in unusual ways. My first attempt was to try using foodstuffs from my kitchen on cartidge paper.


Not a very encouraging start, from the food cupboard, so I branched out into the garden and hedgerows. I also continued with the onion dying and moved on to fabric.


Working from left to right, silk organza, scrim, cotton string, wool tops, polyester wadding, silk thread, PDF cotton and a feather from the last chapter which has turned from grey to a lovely warm yellow. The BG cloth is a piece of tea dyed cotton. The onion skins and the above materials were all simmered for about an hour.


Next are some unidentified red berries which gave forth colour very qiuckly but I continued to simmer the contents for an hour as above.

Left to right, silk organza, before and after plain tree bark, PDF cotton, cotton perle, and string.


Next I tried some plum/cherry leaves with cotton and silk organza, these were much less dramatic than the above berries. The designs at the top of the cotton sample are lino prints using a bleach based cleaner, interestingly it bleached the fabric green.


I followed up the fabric dying with further experiments, this time using Parker brown ink and Quink blue ink on paper and cotton samples and then printing with lino blocks and a string block, using bleach. Some of the prints on the RHS page are made from printing through the fabric. The BG is a wash of the onion dye, which when printed with bleach turned a deep yellow, middle and bottom right prints, again that was a surprise.

The LHS was washed with the plum/cherry dye and the bleach also tuirned that yellow.

My rust experiment worked well after about 6 days kept moist and warm. The fabric I used was a PDF cotton.



I also took the opportunity of a bit of sketching parctice.

Further experiments were carried out as follows.

Egg tempera was used for the following exercise, with watercolour inks and Brusho granules. I also printed with a sponge stamp.


This was followed by experiments to create leather or skin-like patterning with monoprinting.

The following set of samples were painted and bleached to decorate surfaces on new and old samples.


And the final set of samples were created using resist techniques of potato starch,wax and shibori.


The top 2 are Shibori and the bottom one is wax.


And the potato starch resist

Posted via DraftCraft app


  1. I particularly love the colours the onion skins and the berries have given.

  2. I have a thing for purple, and just ADORE the colours that the berries created. Egg tempura is another process I've not heard of before, but sounds interesting.