Wednesday, 20 March 2013


In this post I wanted to talk about Karen's comment on my last post regarding the making of mocks for the 3D work, and how it helps me in my working process.

During the course I learnt the value of sketching my samples, something that had never occurred to me before, but it gave me a greater insight into how I'd constructed the pieces and how they might be developed.

The same logic applies to 3D work, I find it easier to sketch a shape that I have constructed than to do it from my imagination, especially in the early stages when I'm feeling my way regarding direction.

So with regard to this project I felt that I needed to make a better job of the paper mocks of the ribs that I wanted to use for the sphere and this time make them fully 3D.

I started with a circle the size of the mock sphere that I wanted, and designed a wedge shape.

I cut 10 wedge shapes, which consisted of 2 outside shapes and a shape to fit between, therefore making the wedge. Finally with much adjustment and gluing I got them all in place at the top, but the couldn't bend them enough to make a circle, so I had to join them to a flat circular band.

This arrangement  has given me a semi sphere with a circumference of 12", I shall have to now do the maths on this, phew!

I do quite like this shape but it's not what I've envisaged so I decided to play with it in my sketchbook and see if anything inspired  me.

As you can see I sketched the 3D model at the top and then went freestyle with ideas of shape, colour and pattern, all taken from the previous studies in my sketch book and the idea of maybe beech coloured wooden ribs for the sphere .

Finally looking at the 4 separate sketches I wanted to unify them on the page, so I went back to my embroidery sample and loosely filled in some rhythmic lines in black roller ball pen.

At the same time I looked at some thread colours to match the artwork as I wanted to move the embroidery sample forward.

But after considering the alternatives I decided to stick with my green, blue cold pallet.

I wanted to progress the embroidery using some of the stitches I'd used in one of my coursework samples, which had been a favourite inspiration for my final assessment piece.

All these stitches have been created using a grid for support, but I wanted to see if I could make them work with a surface behind them and the top sample is the result. The RHS of the sample circle is an attempt at Spider's webs stitch,

I then worked a version of the sample on my embroidery panel sample, using the Spider's web stitch as it stands proud of the background, which was the effect I was looking for.

As you can see more hand embroidery has been worked to incorporate these accent stitches.

and here is how it's shaping up against the light, bearing in mind that the water soluble medium hasn't been washed away yet.

.......and finally I went back to my sketch book and loosely sketched the above piece, which now shows me quite clearly where the empty spaces are that I might be able to enhance with hand embroidery.


  1. I always takes more thought and tweaking than you imagine, doesn't it. Thank you for sharing your process in such detail. Love to see how it all works out.

  2. I have really found making mock 3d items with paper very useful. Something we did with Dawn Thorne at Summer School. great to see your thought processes and your lovely cool colour scheme.

  3. If someone had told me how many times I would need geometry and math in stitch I might have taken more notice, You are becoming the master of dissolved pieces, lovely,

  4. We always encouraged making paper mock-ups in school and they really do help the thinking and eventual problem solving.Great to see your continuing work.

  5. yikes!!! a post created in response to my comment...sorry about that! You do this so well though, the narration of your process. You have put so much work in already and you are only at the prototype stage.