After looking at several issues that may need adjustment and noted them in my sketch, some weeks back.....
I decided to tackle the size of the design first.
For this I went back through all my sketchbooks looking for suitable shapes that fit the theme of the seaside/Elizabethan stitch, to see if there was anything there to inspire me.
These are just a few of the pages that made the grade. I was so pleased that I'd kept the discipline of daily sketching for over 2 years now, I had a ready stock of source material to give me ideas. This is something I've always wanted to have at my fingertips.
Luckily the designs seem to flow quite well.....
And before I knew it I had 3 panels ready for embroidery interpretation.
At this point I decided to drop back to the very first panel I started for this project, which is now becoming a piece in it's own right.
Auditioning some brighter colours to give it a bit of a zing.
I'm gradually filling in some of the open shapes and will soon have to decide when it's finished, then it'll be the big reveal when the water soluble medium is washed away
And lastly, today I started to interpret the first panel in calico, just to see how difficult it would be to do in free machine embroidery. As it was a complicated small pattern, I started by using my BSR, Bernina Stitch Regulator. This worked fairly well to give me a very loose scribbly outline, but I'm not used to it and as it uses a magic eye to sense the movement of the fabric I couldn't get a rhythm going, more practice needed.
I eventually gave up in favour of hand stitching, and then went back to normal FME over the BSR stitches. I was very heartened to see that I could work the design, so it now remains to see how it will work on paper.
Many thanks Jenn for the construction idea on the pervious post, I think I'll have a go at that.
Thanks too to Karen for her amazing embroidery blog where I've been inspired to hand stitch my pieces.