I have to admit that I struggled a bit with this chapter, I think there might be a pattern (no pun intended) here, that faced with designing with abstract shapes my mind seems to hit a brick wall.
In this chapter we had to design with outlines of objects and look for a suitable shape, which I now think is the key to this, pick the wrong shape to start with and all is lost :-(
Well I went back through my sketch book and finally came up with a selection:
Not very inspiring!!!!!!
Anyway, here's what I chose and the resulting experiments.
This felt a little better and I was very excited to find the boat house with so much graffiti to play with.
And the final design was beginning to feel a lot more free, so on reflection I think I need to remember that the early experiments are only warming-up exercises.
The next exercise was more to my taste, as I felt a bit more confident having settled on a design format for all the pieces.
I used the same motif for the design that I'd developed in the final design in pic 1/7/3 and just turned it various ways until I achieved a satisfying linear pattern that was then machine stitched, without thread, through 6 layers of different papers.
All of these pieces were then put back in different orders on 6 different BG papers using different attachment processes.
I was quite pleased with this set and enjoyed the challenge of coming up with 6 different designs using the papers I'd made on a previous chapter.
Having been away for 3 weeks and not had time to even look at my coursework, I found it very hard to get my head round the last part of this chapter, which required using a shape within a rectangle, removing and manipulating parts to develop designs.
Once again I realised how important it is to have the right shape to start with, so had several false starts.
Finally I decided to resort to the computer and use Photoshop for inspiration and ease of manipulation.
The object of this first part was to see how many pieces you could take away and still have a workable deign, my last one uses only one piece of the original design.
This last composite was all about using colour and texture in a creative way with the design shapes. After a shaky start I did find that I enjoyed parts of the chapter and learnt a great deal about designing with abstract shapes.
I have kept a record of the computer processes used in each of these designs which will be entered in my workbook, hmmm! when I have it up and running.