Saturday 22 October 2011

Module 3 chapter 3

For this exercise I explored some paper stencil shapes for use in later exercises and also looked at constructing braids from paper.

For the first part I cut out shapes in strips of velum, as this will be waterproof and hold back paint, I cut shapes in the folded strips, like paper doll making, and then slotted two strips together .

For the second part of the exercise I tried to use the celtic square and the horizontal figure of eight formation, as a starting point, to make some braid ideas.


3/3/1

Next I looked at constructing a 4 way plait from hand made paper strips of one of the sheets that I printed in chapter 2.

The final challenge was to look for a more open complex strapwork design and work it in paper. I looked at the complex design on the right of the image below, but found it too difficult to work the curved shapes, so I decided to use the simpler straight line design on the left.


3/3/2


3/3/3

I presented the final design on one of the sheets I printed for chapter 2.

I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to this exercise and it didn't get any better once I'd started. I found it very frustrating working with paper, but by the time I reached the last part of the exercise I was feeling a little more confident in understanding the basic construction of the patterns. I think I preferred making up the designs to trying to copy a drawn design.

No comments:

Post a Comment