Monday 5 December 2011

Module 3 Chapter 11

This chapter is an introduction to Personal Assessment Piece 3. It has to be a wall hanging or panel, with the inspiration coming from the original theme that we developed in the first module, mine is the seaside.

I started by building a montage of all the pieces that have inspired me in previous modules, plus this module and my recent discovery of the wonderful work on the Chelsea degree show.


3/11/1

I have been studying the student's work for a while, and inspired by Sian's Drawing project I've been sketching details that I found most interesting.


3/11/2
Florence Spurling


3/11/3
Chloe Hamblin


3/11/4
Sofia Marianne Vincent

I also sketched my own sample and that with one of Florence's samples became the base for the first set of design ideas.


3/11/5

This sketch plus a manipulated photo of sea anemones became the fist design.


3/11/6


3/11/7


3/11/8

This one was inspired by Florence's discs on her knitwear superimposed with a sketch of one of my samples.

Next I went back to one of my designs from module one that I'd embroidered with my digital embroidery software.


3/11/9

I wanted to see how they would work with a knitted background.


3/11/10

And a different colourway


3/11/11

These samples were just digital play to see which direction I wanted to go in with a hanging. I really wanted use knitting as part of it as I'd enjoyed the sample I made in Chapter 6, so I decided that the theme could be 'incorporating embroidery' into knit, so I worked on the idea of a long thin hanging, with lots of structure and texture.


3/11/12


3/11/13


3/11/14

Now I'm starting on the sampling to see if it's possible to work the embroidery shapes into the knit. This sample is worked on very fine sock needles with fine silk thread.


3/11/15


3/11/16

Slightly in the wrong order, but I've found a temporary solution to my design wall in my old studio and used it to flesh out a few more ideas.


3/11/17

2 comments:

  1. Looks intriguing ... can't wait to see the finished wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sketches based on textile work, it is such an interesting process to go from sketches to textiles then sketches of textiles then textiles based on sketches of textiles...

    Plesae tell me about digital embroidery software, I am intrigued and it sounds like a great thing to play with.

    ReplyDelete