Friday, 26 October 2012

Module 6 chapter 9

Bonded layers

Sveveral layers of sheers have been bonded together with a bonding medium and plastic bag strips, which when ironed caused the different layers to distort.



In the above sample I bonded layers of sheers to an FME sample from a previuos module using bonding granules, and then ironed strips from plastic bags which caused the sheer layers to buckle.


This sample started as a piece of sheer which was folded into a very small square and then ironed with a hot iron. The compacted layers were then pulled apart and the gold sheer snippets were added and ironed in place. The pink sheer was added in the same way. A pocket has formed in the middle of the sample and a large bead has been positioned in it. This can be seen more clearly in the sketch below.




This sample has had a similar treatment to the first one.


In this samle I have sanwiched two layers of sheer with FME samlples and strips of painted Tyvek and snippets of sheers. When ironed the Tyvek distorted into different shapes.

The other side.

The next challenge was to make bonded lace


Various natural elements were bonded between tranparrent layers to create a feeling of lace, all have a connection to my personal research theme of the beach. Centre left is dried pieces of starfish, which I thought was a washed up lace mat when I first saw it on the beach. Bottom LHS are broken pices of mussel shells. These fragments were bonded together with watersoluble machine embroidery medium, as were the grasses on the RHS


Next the bonded samples were offered up to suitable backgrounds.



And this is my sketch interpretation. Part of the atmospheric atmosphere at Dungeness is the fact that nothing appears to be thrown away, it all just rots/melts back into the landscape and by making this sketch it became apparent to me that this is what appeals to me, the purposeful chaos of the beach detritus, it's all had a purpose and to scavange amongst is so inspiring.

In this first sample I used recycled fishing net found on the beach and the shells that I had bonded together with watersoluble medium. I laid the fragment amongst the tangle of net and then wet them a little to release the glue in the w/s medium, this helped to hold eveything in place. I then stitched roughly through all the layers, loosly patterned on the Massai stitching designs, studied in the first chapter.



In the above image you can see the lace like structure that has formed around the shell fragments.

The next sample is the dried star fish, which has been very simply attached to one of the samples created in an earlier chapter.



The third sample is very simlple and is a pressed flower found near the beach mounted on a complimentary sample of Shibori dyeing.


The last sample was created with the piece of mixed grasses and Sea Holly, that were bonded with w/s medium, which was attached to my rust sample by carefully dribbling water onto the piece. Small pieces of metal were then stitched in place with silk thread, and plastic recycled fishing net was very loosly held in place over the whole piece.





As I've done with some of the other samples I tried sketching this last piece to see if I could find a way to dvelop it.


And this the lead to a digital interpretation.


The last part of this chapter is centred on using bonded layers to create interest.

My first sample was a simple sandwich of grasses, sea holly, and sheers, leaving some of the oganic material exposed.


In the next sample I became more ambitious and laid down some seed pod fragments, seeds, shell fragments and dried Acanthus leaves. Again part of these pieces were bonded to the BG fabric with strips of sheers and some were left free.



In the next sample I used more fishing netting, with plastic string bags, shells and strips of painted bonding material. When the sandwich of sheers and other materials was ironed it melted the string bags, which gave an interesting effect.



In this image you can see how the heat from the iron has distorted the top layer of sheer in the top centre section near the shell.


In the last sample I used one layer of nylon organza, a layer of painted bonding material, plus a layer of the backing paper and more fishing net, all bonded together with Acanthus leaves.




1 comment:

  1. you work so hard! Your samples are stunning but my favourite is 6/9/12 and I ADORE the digitally manipulated art. It could easily be a piece of designer wallpaper.