Monday 5 November 2012

Module 6 chapter 10b

The resolved Totem

Having received some helpful input from Sian on my initial Totem designs, I decided to return to my favourite piece of metal sculpture and rework it,

6/10/1

Sian had suggested that maybe the newspaper base was not helping this piece, so I made that my starting point and created a more natural base.

6/10/2

This then lead to a bit of play with a previous sample to see how it would work with a textile accent.

This in turn lead to a bit of digital play.

6/10/3

6/10/4

And then some further investigation in my sketchbook to see how it might work with both ends covered in the textile sample.

6/10/5

I liked the rhythm of this idea but wanted to do something different to the original knitted sample, so I went back to the drawing app for some further inspiration.

6/10/6

So this is how the above play ended up.

6/10/7

What do we think of it so far?

6/10/8a

RHYTHM........



Some close ups

6/10/8

6/10/11

6/10/12

6/10/13

The idea of making a Totem was to 'celebrate your personal research topic..... using any aspect of your theme as a completion of your Diploma course'

I now feel satisfied that I have done this as the original idea has been sufficiantly abstracted and has provided me with an interesting idea of how to take it forward, particularly in the RHS image which could be a fabric print. Interestingly this has bought me back to my roots as a textile printer, but form a very different staring point. Embroidery, transparency, sketching and digital art.

2 comments:

  1. This is looking very beachy/flotsam and jetsam.The digital play is throwing up some wonderful shapes and colours.The last pic is very reminiscent of watery reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fabulous and I always enjoy the descriptive telling of these pieces....great sketches too.
    http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

    ReplyDelete