Monday, 29 January 2018

Slow Progress


Due to the Christmas break and winter bugs, progress on the project has been slow over the past 2 months, but I'm slowly moving towards the final consolidation and am looking forward to preparing the piece for hanging.



All the figures have now been hand embroidered and by the time I'd reached the last one I was relatively proficient in hiding the start and finish knots.


I decided it was time to cut the excess fabric from the lace panel, and as I wanted to get as close as possible to the border, I took careful precautions to make sure that the cutting line would be accurate.


As you can see I made sure there was enough stabiliser to cover the cutting line on the sharpest point of the panel.


At last I was able to take some images of the lace embroidery in close up.













Having finished the lace sail I returned to the completed hand stitched figures and looked at ways of creating the rope that they are all pulling.


None of these ideas  seemed to work, but after having a rethink regarding the twine that I had already used for the hanging device, I discovered some Jute twine in a local garden centre which is perfect, (for the hanging device). I hope it will work well for the figures.

I really like everything about this twine, it’s the perfect weight, it's rustic, it takes the silk embroidery thread perfectly for whipping the loop into place.


  

No comments:

Post a comment