Friday 23 March 2012

Module 4 chapter 5

In this chapter we were asked to explore the slip surface and the applied surface, that being the surface that the slip is attached to.

First I constructed two fabrics that could be used for cutting out slips. They're both constructed of layers of transparent fabric pieces.


4/5/1


4/5/2

This second piece has a piece of knitting sandwiched between the layers and is completely hand stitched. It would cut into slips as it's all stable and has been stitched onto a water-soluble under layer, as has the top fabric. However I rather liked it so for the time being it has become an applied surface.


4/5/3


4/5/4

The slips were stitched in the first fabric, starting with a couple of the digital designs and then working through a variety of different outline stitches.


4/5/5

They were then cut and offered up to the applied surface.


4/5/5


4/5/6


4/5/7


4/5/8


4/5/9



4/5/10


4/5/11

I was very pleased with the way the machine handled the digital slips on the hand constructed fabric, I shall try more of these later.

3 comments:

  1. you are steaming ahead! what a great collection and i love your slip shape. pleased to see you got some knitting in there and i am very envious of your digital machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these designs and the applied surface ,colours are yum too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you so noncholantly talk of constructing fabrics BEFORE you even begin! You are creating some amazing effects and I love the knitting sandwich idea :) (it's Becky btw, I can't get my new ID to tell you that - I have a new blog)

    ReplyDelete